Area or Volume calculation of created Convex Hull

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Hi,

nice library and visualization.

I have a question, is possible to calculate area or volume of created Convex Hull?

It would be nice feature in this library.

Simon

Developer
Jan 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Hi Simon,

sorry for the late reply. You can compute the volume quite easily by computing the Delaunay triangulation and the summing the volumes of the individual tetrahedrons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahedron#Volume). 

David

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Thank you David for directions.

Generally I need to calculate volume between two triangulated surface A and B.

Requirements:

1. Each surface has different shape and size.
2. Surfaces can intersect (cross) each other (so the volume with sign +/- should be considered) - the surfaces can form something like "X" sign.
3. The volume between surface is limited.

What does mean word "limited" in point 3. Let me explain. When you make projection on XY plane of two surfaces A and B, then we can calculate two 2D convex hulls (for surface A and B). Then volume should be calculated based on the region formed from intersection of convex hull A and convex hull B.

Have you some direction how to calculate the volume taking requirement into account?

(I can describe problem in details and send you an email - if you agree).

Thanks you for earlier reply!

Best regards
Simon

Developer
Feb 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Hi Simon, sorry this took so long again but I do not check the forums here very often. If it's still relevant, feel free to send me the detailed description of your problem and I will see what I can do.

David
Feb 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Could you send me your e-mail address?